Do you know you can install Ubuntu Pro for free? Well, that’s true.
Canonical, the company behind the Ubuntu project, is always looking for ways to make Ubuntu more secure and reliable as an operating system. Considering the number of Ubuntu-based distributions available in the market, Ubuntu is undoubtedly one of the most stable Linux distros out there. This makes Ubuntu a preferred choice for both desktop as well as server environments.
Despite that, the Canonical is unwavering in its commitment to advancing the platform.
The latest stride in this pursuit is the introduction of Ubuntu Pro—an exceptional security and maintenance subscription. What sets Ubuntu Pro apart is its unparalleled 10-year security coverage, encompassing not just the operating system but also extending to over 25,000 packages.
This impressive catalog includes vital tools and frameworks such as Ansible, Docker, Drupal, Node.js, Python 2, and WordPress, among others. For users prioritizing security and compliance, Ubuntu Pro emerges as the ideal solution.
Earlier, Ubuntu Pro was only limited to commercial use. But Canonical has broadened the reach of Ubuntu Pro, extending it beyond commercial deployments to cater to personal and small-scale usage scenarios.
This means even individual desktop users can now avail themselves of Ubuntu Pro’s benefits for up to five machines at no cost.
The introduction of a free pricing tier opens up Ubuntu Pro’s advantages to individual users and small-scale commercial deployments. The prospect of a decade-long security coverage adds an extra layer of appeal.
To get Ubuntu Pro, you must meet the following requirements –
- Ubuntu machine running the Ubuntu LTS version (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, or Ubuntu 22.04 LTS)
- A user account with
- An email address (Existing Ubuntu One account will also work)
Once you have all these things, you are all set to get Ubunto Pro for free.
Steps To Install Ubuntu Pro for Free
To install Ubuntu Pro on your machine, you need to follow these simple steps –
- First of all, to install Ubuntu Pro, you must have your PC running Ubuntu version 27.11.2. You can check it by opening a Terminal and executing
If you see 27.11.2~22.04 or a higher version, you can easily install Ubuntu Pro.
- If your PC is running an older Ubuntu version than 27.11.2, you can simply upgrade it by executing the following commands one after another.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
While executing these commands, you will be asked to enter your
root password for authentication.
- After the updates are installed, reboot your machine and open a new Terminal.
- In this Terminal, execute the following command to install Ubuntu Pro.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-advantage-pro
After the command is executed, Ubuntu Pro will be installed on your computer. But when you run the
pro security-status command, you will see the output saying, “This machine is not attached to an Ubuntu Pro subscription.”
This is because, although we have installed Ubuntu Pro, we haven’t authorized it. For that, follow these simple steps –
- First of all, go to https://ubuntu.com/pro/subscribe.
- Select the Myself option and then click on the Register button.
- After that, configure your account to get the Ubuntu Pro subscription for free.
- After the subscription is activated, go to the https://ubuntu.com/pro/dashboard.
Here, you will see a Token that you have to attach to your machine.
- Copy the Token, and in the Terminal, execute the following command. Here, replace TOKEN with the Token you copied.
sudo pro attach TOKEN
- You will be asked to enter the
rootpassword. Enter that to execute the command.
- Once the command is executed, you will see that your machine now has Ubuntu Pro activated.
That’s it. You have successfully installed and activated Ubuntu Pro on your machine.
There you have it – a detailed article covering information on how to install Ubuntu Pro for free.
Ubuntu Pro’s 10-year security coverage is undoubtedly one of the critical features of the pro version. And since Ubuntu Pro is completely free for personal use, you have no reason not to use it.
If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them in the comment section below. Our team will try to respond ASAP.